Originally devised as a celebration of community and everyday customs, Latin dance is a style that encourages self-expression and allows improvisation and individual flair. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced dancer, Arthur Murray Dance Studio of Narberth & Paoli, PA offers several Latin dance classes, including the rumba, cha-cha, mambo, samba, salsa and merengue. Our highly trained instructors will work with you, regardless of skill level, to tailor a personalized program suited to your specific goals. As you progress from the introductory program, you’ll develop even more skills and techniques, giving you the confidence needed to step out onto the dance floor.
Variations Of Latin Dance
From ballrooms to nightclubs, Latin dancing combines the benefits of socialization with upbeat exercise. As a general label, Latin dance includes, but is not limited to, the following variations:
- Rumba – Having roots in Cuba, the Rumba emphasizes slow, romantic steps with a concentration on natural hip movement.
- Cha-cha – Cuban-born, the cha-cha features lively, steady cha-cha-cha steps and other basic movements. The compact, energetic cha-cha can be danced to authentic Cuban music, Latin pop or Latin rock.
- Mambo – Known for its complicated footwork, the mambo’s signature move is a three-beat step, which produces the familiar hip-swaying motion.
- Samba – Originating in Brazil, the samba is a popular dance recognized for its series of bounce motions and forward and backward steps.
- Salsa – Drawing influence from Colombia and Puerto Rico, the Cuban-born salsa consists of movements similar to the cha-cha and mambo. Its adaptable and social dance qualities and basic quick-quick-slow steps make this style popular in nightclubs and other venues.
- Merengue – Created in the Dominican Republic, the merengue boasts a quick-quick-quick-quick rhythm. This steady tempo makes the merengue a great introduction to Latin dancing for beginners.
The Arthur Murray Method
At the Arthur Murray Dance Studio of Narberth & Paoli, PA, learning Latin dance starts with an introductory program. You’ll be able to pick up valuable skills and techniques from various Latin dances, including the rumba, cha-cha, mambo, samba, salsa and merengue, while having fun in a welcoming environment. With our three-way approach, you’ll learn the different variations of Latin dancing through private lessons, class instruction and fun practice sessions, which emulate the experience of a nightclub to help you gain confidence. If you’re an aspiring dancer, check out our new student offer, and try Latin dancing out for size.
Contact Us Today
Are you excited to learn one of the most popular social dance styles from a world-class Arthur Murray Franchised Dance Studio? Contact our Narberth or Paoli Dance Studio to find out more about our Latin dance classes and comprehensive teaching methods.